- Removes layer of dead skin cells, dirt & toxins from the skin, giving your skin a revitalized, healthy look while nourishing and hydrating skin
- Can contour, tone and firm skin and reduce appearance of cellulite
- Aids in temporary weight reduction through diuretic effect
- Relaxes muscles and relieves stress
- Encourages proper circulation
- It is relaxing and rejuvenating to the body
The times we live in make us want to escape into another world every so often, even if its just for a few hours, to shut off from external stimulation. This urgent need to 'get away', especially in the urban scenario, is becoming an increasing reality.
So what do you do?
This is where a day spa can be a blessing, a place that helps you indulge in some much-needed 'me' time, to switch off and relax, recharge, reflect, detox and beautify. Modern-day spas cater to a range of health-promoting experiences. The healing powers of touch therapy have been expounded on since ancient times. Spas and touch therapies are thus intrinsically connected. The nurturing touch of a skilled therapist's hands on one's body has benefits that go beyond the realm of the physical.
- Body treatments improves blood circulation, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the cells
- Body treatments stimulates the lymphatic system, which carries away the body's waste products
- When you receive a spa service, your mind, body and soul are in harmony and a hormone called Serotonin is released that enhances the body and mind's "feel good" state.
- By indulging in body contouring services at a spa, you can keep the extra pounds off and keep your body in shape and beautiful.
- Body polishes gently exfoliate your skin, promoting cellular renovation, refining pores and gives your skin uniform relief.
- Heat treatments in the form of either warm, dry air or warm, moist air heat the body to stimulate blood circulation, initiating the purifying process.
- Body wraps are exceptionally beneficial as a quick way to remineralise the body, replenish it with nutrients and elements lost on a daily basis, thus boosting moisture in your skin, helping to rejuvenate and relax you.
- Individuals want to look youthful and feel confident. Hence, spas have beauty/skin care brands as part of their repertoire, actively promoting personalized facial therapy massages, and regular skin care sessions.
Contrary to the general consensus, going to the spa is not a waste of money and time. A trip to a day spa is not an extravagance. In this day and age where stress looms every second, you certainly need a short break to get away. A trip to a spa is quick and very affordable.
It can stimulate you mentally and physically. It can even increase your confidence and self-esteem.
Detoxification is the process purge toxins and excess fluids in the body. A detox can help eliminate bloating and water retention which will definitely make you feel great.
Taking good care of your body and mind can help deter aging. A therapeutic massage can help you relax and a relaxed body translates to less stress. Facials, other skin care services and body treatments can help you look and feel young.
A body and mind that are free from tension and stress will be able to cope well with any sleeping disorder. A trip to the spa and having a spa day definitely has its health advantages!
Dry brushing to detoxify your body
Dry brushing your skin may be one of the easiest and best ways to detoxify your body on a regular basis. The skin is estimated to eliminate over a pound of waste each day through its pores and through the elimination of dead skin cells from the body. Dry brushing is an effective way to maximize the toxin elimination channels of the skin.
The integumentary system is made up of a network of dead epidermal cells forming the skin, hair, fingernails and toenails. All of these are a form of pulling toxins out of the body. The hair is often used to measure the level of toxic heavy metals in the body. The sweat glands also play an active role in flushing toxins out through perspiration.
As skin cells get closer and closer to the outer surface of the body they lose their blood supply and die. This is an effective strategy of the body to eliminate wastes in these cells by sloughing off these old dead cells. Every minute we lose over 30,000 dead skin cells which are replaced by new healthy skin cells. Bathing and good personal hygiene practices enhance the normal eliminatory patterns of the skin.
Dry skin brushing helps to improve circulation, stimulates lymphatic drainage and firms the skin. The improvement in circulation improves brain function and gives an individual more energy. By improving lymphatic flow it can help prevent the formation of unsightly cellulite. Dry brushing also sloughs off old dead skin cells and the toxic debris within them while initiating the development of new healthy skin cells.
How to dry brush correctly:
It is important to find a brush with soft natural bristles. Synthetic bristles often contain chemicals that are best to avoid. The brushes are typically available at a local health food store in the price range of $6 to $10.
It is best to begin with light, gentle brushing and over time the skin will be able to handle brushing a little deeper. The strokes should move toward the heart to improve lymphatic flow back through the venous system towards the heart. When dry brushing the stomach it is best to go in a clockwise motion as that works with the natural digestive flow.
The skin may be slightly flushed afterwards but should not be red or sore. Be sure to avoid brushing over fresh wounds, burns and cuts. The skin should be dry but not excessively dry when brushing. One can use coconut oil during the brushing process if the skin is very dry but be sure to clean the brush thoroughly after finishing brushing. Shower after brushing to help remove exfoliated skin cells.
Most individuals notice that they feel refreshed and energized after dry brushing. This is due to the elimination of toxic debris and improved circulation. The skin also glows and feels smoother after the whole body exfoliation experience.